Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Catching My Breath

It's been an intense few weeks. I finished off my Critical Theory summer intensive at SFAI (which was really rewarding, as it happens), with just a couple of weeks to prepare for Fall teaching.

Eric and I decided pretty much off the top of our heads to drop off the face of the earth for a little while to recuperate and shore up a bit, and we spent some time -- including, conveniently enough as a pretext, my birthday -- poolside among whale-scaled Midwestern businessmen types and a motley raucous wedding party. It was all room service and no internet connectivity all the time, and immensely helpful for sanity consolidation purposes.

Once we returned home, the frenetic pace resumed in a flash, and the first week of term is already behind me now. I can scarcely believe it.

I'm teaching four courses this time around, which seems a bit like madness now that it's underway, but the courses are all perfectly aligned with my theoretical preoccupations at the moment and the students seem bright and funny and ready to do their part.

I can't promise that this will be a high-frequency posting period for Amor Mundi, but I'm sure to doing quite a bit of online work through the four course blogs (links posted to the left), since I'm assigning students to publish blog-posts rather than papers this term and many of the course texts are available only online. In one of my courses literally every text is online, and the syllabus is emerging as an ongoing collaboration between my initial conditions and student decisions and discussions. It's shaping up to be an interesting experiment. I'll report back with results as they arise.

No comments: