Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Monday, November 26, 2007

About the Candidates

I make no secret of the fact that John Edwards has long been my favorite candidate for the Presidential nomination of the Democratic Party, but it probably isn't a bad idea to stress every now and again that there are things I like enormously about the Democratic candidates on offer I like least (and that definitely includes Hillary Clinton) and that I fully expect to be deeply disappointed if not outright betrayed on some political issues that matter enormously to me even by the Democratic candidates on offer I like best (and that definitely includes John Edwards).

As for the Republican candidates, I think they are all nuts. Indeed, I think they are such flabbergasting conspicuous nuts that I will go on to suggest that a party offering up such a slate of candidates really looks to me like a party willfully committing suicide, that a nation failing to repudiate any of these nuts conclusively looks to me like a nation willfully committing suicide as a viable democracy, and that the institutions of an incumbent press willing to overlook such nuttiness to cough up a profitable hairball of "horse-race" drama is an institution willfully committing suicide (especially given the emergence of p2p/Netroots alternatives to which majorities are already turning instead).

No comments: