Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Drop Down Translator (Updated)

Playing around a little this evening. I just put a drop down translator up on Amor Mundi (top of the sidebar). How does it work for you all?

Updated: Friend of Blog n8o suggested a Google Gadget over the Windoze Widget I had opted for (possibly better, as he pithily put the point, "for those inclined not to use the services of convicts"), and I made the switch forthwith. Of course, Google isn't exactly love's young dream either, corporate fictive persons will be corporate fictive persons, won't they? So, if anybody out there knows of a comparable gizmo that manages to be more Ubuntesque in its sweetness, let me know and I may well switch yet again.

2 comments:

Nato Welch said...

Well, I'm a dork.

I spent a good half hour whipping up something similar that uses Google's translation engine instead (for those inclined not to use the services of convicts). I emailed it to you before I clicked once to find Google already has this ready to go:

http://translate.google.com/translate_tools?hl=en

Anonymous said...

English -> French, translated back to English by a francophone:

Microsoft:

Let it drop down toward the bottom, the translator

Game around of a this evening. I just placed a let it drop toward the bottom translator near the top of Amor Mundi (above the sidebar). How does't work that [fonctionne-t-cela] for you all?

Google:

Expandable translator

To play a little tonight. I've just put a drop-down menu on translator Amor Mundi (top of the sidebar). How does that work for you all?