Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Pete Seeger and Bruce Springstein Help Make Amor Mundi More Positive



From the Inaugural Concert this afternoon, hundreds of thousands of voices raised in song, singing what progressives long considered America's true national anthem, Woodie Guthrie's This Land Is Your Land. Do some of the powerful words you hear in this performance of the restored song seem unfamiliar to you? Here they are:
In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people,
By the relief office I seen my people;
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking
Is this land made for you and me?

Was a big high wall there that tried to stop me;
Sign was painted, it said private property;
But on the back side it didn't say nothing;
That side was made for you and me.

Nobody living can ever stop me,
As I go walking that freedom highway;
Nobody living can ever make me turn back
This land was made for you and me.

No comments: