Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Enemies List?

I was rather distressed to read a comment over at Accelerating Future referring to my "traditional enemies of transhumanists, transsexuals and cyborgs."

Working my way backward through this accusation, as I did there as well at less length, I have to point out that:

First, there are few if any "non-cyborgs" in our thoroughly acculturated, prostheticized world today, certainly I am one myself, as is every other language-user and tool-user, and so I cannot make sense of the idea that cyborgs would be my enemies in general, although I suppose I will cop to being the enemy of, you know, any eeeevil cyborgs out there, I guess.

Second, I am especially flabbergasted to hear somebody declare me an enemy of transsexuals, given my decades-long preoccupation with and advocacy of queer politics (as a pervy punky lefty aestheticized queer myself, after all), very much including transsex and intersex activism and advocacy.

Together with progressive democratization, I regard the struggle to facilitate ever more truly informed nonduressed consensual prosthetic self-determination amidst lifeway multiculture as pretty much my political bedrock. I just see that as conventional Pro-Choice politics amplified to include access to safe abortion to end unwanted pregnancies as well as to ARTs to facilitate wanted ones, legalized, regulated consensual recreational drug use, celebration of the proliferating diversity of body-art practices, advocacy of truly informed consensual recourse to (or abstention from) either normalizing or non-normalizing but wanted genetic, prosthetic, and cognitive therapies, and so on.

There is certainly no need at all to join a Robot Cult to advocate technoscientifically literate Pro-Choice politics, nor any cause to confuse technoscientifically literate Pro-Choice politics with the views of Robot Cultists who pine for the arrival of a Robot God to solve their problems, who pine for immortalization or for invulnerability through uploading into computer networks or cyborg-shellification or medical wish-fulfillment fantasies, or who pine for the circumvention of stakeholder-politics through the arrival of some fantastic super-abundant techno-plenitude of robot slaves, nanobotic genies in bottles or virtual treasure caves.

Third, and so, as far as transhumanists go, yeah, I guess "enemy" is the right word to use. Although the truth is that I disapprove of superlative techno-utopianism in many other variations quite as extreme as the ones transhumanists exhibit, and I also regard the transhumanists themselves as a rather marginal and noisy sub(cult)ural symptom and extreme of more prevailing corporate-militarist futurological discourses that are far more damaging in their discursive-practical play in the world. I pretty much consider organized transhumanism simply a reductive, techno-determinist, corporate-futurological superlative (which means, roughly, secularized would-be transcendentalizing quasi-religious) ideology peddling pseudo-science, hype, and eugenics. What's to like in that dangerous deranging nonsense?

4 comments:

jimf said...

> . . .traditional enemies of. . . transsexuals. . .

Where in God's name did Justin Corwin get the idea that
transsexuals are, as a class, one of your "traditional enemies"?

I mean, I can think of one particular transgendered person in
the >Hist community, who also happens to be a rather doctrinaire
defender of both economic libertarianism and Ayn Rand as a
model of "rationality", with whom both of us have tangled,
and who thinks of you, at least metaphorically,
as something less than human (and has said so in at least one
semi-public mailing list) and who I happen to think is a
screeching air-head, but what any of that has to do with
being transgendered per se I can't imagine.

At no other point can I recall anything you've ever said
touching on any issue having to do with being transgendered,
except for the obvious point that, being gay yourself
(another species of "deviant"), I would expect you to be
more open-minded to the transgendered than the public in
general are.

Giulio Prisco said...

Re "I am especially flabbergasted to hear somebody declare me an enemy of transsexuals..."

I have the greatest respect and admiration for transexuals: they have refused to meekly accept unwanted features of the body they were born with and decided to take control and do something about it.

And this is what transhumanism is all about: we refuse to accept unwanted features of the bodies we were born with, and want to take control and do something about it. What? When? This is still very much on the drawing board, but we want to do our fucking best.

Now Dale, you will probably logorrhoically scream that it is not the same thing, but the fact remains that it IS the same thing.

Go Democrats said...

Don't be disingenuous, Giulio. I've never heard a transgendered person say that they wanted EVERYONE to undergo sex-reassignment surgery, but I've read plenty of high-modernist rhetoric from transhumanists who want to force parents to adopt "modifications" for their children, or to "breed out" certain things in a eugenic way.

Your way of thinking is, deep down, not about choice at all.

jimf said...

> [T]his is what transhumanism is all about: we refuse to accept
> unwanted features of the bodies we were born with, and want to
> take control and do something about it. What? When? This is still
> very much on the drawing board, but we want to do our fucking best.

Alas, wanting "to do our fucking best" about "it", even if such
a statement can be taken at face value, is woefully insufficient,
by itself, to accomplish anything useful in the world.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.religion.scientology/msg/4aec1277d08493c1
-------------------------
[SF author A.E.] Van [Vogt] had nothing flattering to say about
either Hubbard, Dianetics, or Scientology during that meeting.
I'd say he was totally disillusioned by his experiences.

He had involved himself with Hubbard as part of an exuberance
of youth; a group of people out to 'set the world right' and
'make a difference.' What that group evolved into, we now know.
But in the beginning, all of the people involved were filled
with idealistic visions of what the world would be like if
people were free of the bad motivations inside themselves."
-------------------------

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.clearing.technology/msg/bad583620041a34a
-------------------------
In this post I am looking back at the sequence of events which
attracted me in scientology. I am retrieving old goals; a few were
attained, many of them were not; but they are still alive, and this is
an occasion to postulate them again in present time.

It all started by reading the novel from A.E. Van Vogt: The World of
Null-A. I was enthralled by this book. Here I became aware of several
goals I had, which were expressed in this book:

- A technology able to remove the aberrations of man (general semantics)
- A solution for immortality
- Advanced abilities: teleportation, telepathy
- Contacting extra-terrestrial civilizations
- An organized teaching and training system designed to attain these
goals
- Building a new civilization without war and crimes

I had the idea to study the general semantics, but after that I was
reading a biography of Van Vogt, which indicated his interest in
Dianetics; eventually I found this book, and this was the beginning of
my road in scientology.

I received a scientific education, and had many doubts about religions.
I was hoping that spiritual abilities did exist, but I was not
satisfied by just hopes and never certainty. I was looking for proofs.
For example I had a project to do scientific experiments in a haunted
house. But I canceled this project when I discovered scientology.

. . .

With the discovery of scientology, I formulated a new set of goals:

1 - Freedom from unwanted reactions and emotions, and from past painful
experiences
2 - Retrieve my past lives
3 - Being exterior with full perceptions
4 - Immortality as a conscious being (going into the next life without
amnesia)
5 - Ability to heal other people
6 - OT abilities (teleportation, etc.)

Eventually I did quit the scientology path for different reasons.
Especially the high prices. . .

But if I have to choose a main goal, this is the goal of
immortality as a conscious being. . . Without this preliminary
goal, it is impossible to do long term planning.
-------------------------