Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Sunday, August 30, 2009

And Another Thing

I hope that those folks who endlessly castigate my "negativity" here (mostly because a lot of Robot Cultists read my blog and think it is "negative" not to drink their moonshine and to ridicule the palpably ridiculous things they say) will notice that the prior post "accentuates the positive" so much as to sound positively like Mouseketeer Roll Call in places.

But, more to the point, I would like to think some will notice that I have taken pains in that longer post to connect my politics as a Democrat to the left of most Democrats but invested absolutely in the real politics of Democrats against corporatists in the Party and Movement Republicans outside it, to my politics as somebody who writes quite a lot about silly futurologists.

Sometimes I critique superlative futurology as an extreme symptom and expression of the pathologies of more mainstream, more prevailing neoliberal corporatist global developmental discourses -- as well as inter-implicated neoconservative militarist discourses that are just as prevailing -- exposing and clarifying their shared anti-humanistic reductionisms, their technocratic and market-naturalist anti-democratizing elitisms, their scarcely stealthed eugenicist norms. (And since "eugenicist" is a Fighting Word, let me quickly add that I mean by it here, for simplicity's sake, mostly norms deployed always in the service of "competitive advantages" in a dehumanizing competition falsely posited as beyond question, and always beholden to racist refigurations of the realities of overexploitation as self-congratulatory narratives of "underdevelopment" enunciated by those who imagine themselves "more-developed").

But in the prior post I think the connection of my anti-futurological critiques and my pro-democracy politics is legible from a different direction than the usual one I just mentioned: I focus there instead on the more common or garden variety modes of hyperbole that bedevil democratizing struggles for real health care reform or for strengthened collective bargaining rights or for more sustainable transportation, buildings, and agricultural standards and policies -- hyperbole playing out in, for example, corporate advertising hype or in concern-trolling editorials on policy questions.

One discerns only the precursory trace in this everyday hyperbole and irrationality of the incandescent pathologies of superlative futurological discourses to which I have directed so much of my own critical energies here and elsewhere. But perhaps that trace sheds a helpfully different kind of light than usual on my preoccupations with futurological discourses and what I take to be their anti-democratizing and otherwise deranging impacts on sensible public discourse in the midst of ongoing disruptive technoscientific change.

3 comments:

jimf said...

Dale wrote:

> [I]n [a] prior post I. . . focus. . . on the more common or
> garden variety modes of hyperbole that bedevil democratizing
> struggles. . . -- hyperbole playing out in, for example, corporate
> advertising or in control-trolling editorials on policy.
>
> One discerns only the precursory trace in this everyday
> hyperbole and irrationality of the incandescent pathologies
> of superlative futurological discourses to which I have
> directed so much of my own critical energies. . .

There's a smart guy who runs a software company in New
York City named Joel Spolsky, who also writes very
entertainingly about the tech scene (and he's gay,
too).

His blog articles have been collected into two books:
_Joel on Software_ and _More Joel on Software_.
http://www.amazon.com/Joel-Software-Occasionally-Developers-Designers/dp/1590593898
http://www.amazon.com/More-Joel-Software-Occasionally-Developers/dp/1430209879

In one of his articles, he waxes eloquent on the subject
of hyperbole in the computer biz:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000018.html

"When you go too far up, abstraction-wise, you run out
of oxygen. Sometimes smart thinkers just don't know when
to stop. . .

These are the people I call Architecture Astronauts. . .

[A] common thing Architecture Astronauts like to do is
invent some new architecture and claim it solves something.
Java, XML, Soap, XmlRpc, Hailstorm, .NET, Jini, oh lord I
can't keep up. And that's just in the last 12 months!

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with these architectures...
What bugs me is the stupendous amount of millennial hype that
surrounds them. Remember the Microsoft Dot Net white paper?

> The next generation of the Windows desktop platform, Windows.NET
> supports productivity, creativity, management, entertainment
> and much more, and is designed to put users in control of their
> digital lives.

That was about 9 months ago. Last month, we got Microsoft Hailstorm.
That white paper says:

> People are not in control of the technology that surrounds them....
> HailStorm makes the technology in your life work together on your
> behalf and under your control.

Oh, good, so now the high tech halogen light in my apartment will
stop blinking randomly. . .

And don't even remind me of the fertilizer George Gilder spread
about Java:

> A fundamental break in the history of technology...

That's one sure tip-off to the fact that you're being assaulted
by an Architecture Astronaut: the incredible amount of bombast;
the heroic, utopian grandiloquence; the boastfulness; the complete
lack of reality. And people buy it! The business press goes wild!

Why the hell are people so impressed by boring architectures that
often amount to nothing more than a new format on the wire for RPC,
or a new virtual machine? These things might. . . benefit the
developers [who] use them, but they are not, I repeat, not, a good
substitute for the messiah riding his white ass into Jerusalem,
or world peace. No, Microsoft, computers are not suddenly going to
start reading our minds and doing what we want automatically just
because everyone in the world has to have a Passport account.
No, Sun, we're not going to be able to analyze our corporate
sales data 'as simply as putting a DVD into your home theatre
system.'"

why indeed? ;-> "Lookin' for love in all the wrong places. . ."

Dale Carrico said...

I keep thinking I might be able to distill a couple of books out of the ever burgeoning archive of blog posts I've written here, many of which I've already collected into themes that seem elaborable (if unadorable) into books. The Academy is still (in my view rather archaically) invested in book-publication as a measure of seriousness, and it seems it would be a good idea in a way. What do you think, Jim? Weirdly, my politics as a copyfighter make me hesitate -- not to mention my reluctance, borne in no small part no doubt of laziness -- to actually try my hand at the editing of such a thing...

jimf said...

> keep thinking I might be able to distill a couple of
> books out of the ever burgeoning archive of blog posts
> I've written. . . What do you think. . .?

Hey, I'd buy 'em!

In any case, I think these decisions sort of make themselves.
One day, you wake up and you just know that's what you're
going to do. Or not. ;->