Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Josh Marshall on the Climate Science Denialists

I thought this an excellent plainspoken editorial.

[T]o maintain a skepticism which is rooted in the inherently tentative nature of all scientific knowledge is quite different from assuming that the science is wrong and that what's right is what I'd prefer to be true even though I don't know anything about the science at all...

[M]edical science today clearly has only a very limited understanding of cancer. But how many oncology skeptics do you know who choose to take a pass on chemo or radiation if they get sick?

I can't say that I really have any sophisticated understanding of the science of climate change…. For me, the fact that the vast majority of people with specialized knowledge in the field think there's a problem is good enough for me.

Put baldly like that, perhaps it suggests a certain incuriousness. But I can't be knowledgeable about everything. And I'm comfortable with the modern system in which the opinions of really knowledgeable people with expertise counts more in cases like this than people who know nothing at all...

[T]here's inevitable uncertainty about how such a complex system as the global climate functions. But in our own lives, in the real world, we live in a science based world. It's the premise on which almost everything rests. And pretty much everyone assumes that cell phones will work, bombs will go off, medical treatments will give us the best chance of survival. Only this one example is different.

I daresay some of the climate-science denialists might be folks who would prefer to go to faith-healers or acupuncturists than oncologists, but Marshall's larger point is still an excellent one. Like the hired flacks who flogged "safe cigarettes" to protect the profits of the palpably death-dealing tobacco industry for as long as possible, a huge amount of denialist rhetoric is just the evil cynical opportunism of terrible people. It is no surprise that corporate-militarists would try to game the system through which well-informed citizens are compelled to trust certified experts simply because we all of us depend for our survival and flourishing on applications of technoscientific knowledges which no one citizen can fully comprehend on their own specialized terms. Gaming systems they nonetheless count on to function even while they are zealously undermining them is just a special case of the basic lie-cheat-steal ethos of which Movement Republicanism now most essentially consists.

1 comment:

jimf said...

> Like the hired flacks who flogged "safe cigarettes" to
> protect the profits of the palpably death-dealing
> tobacco industry for as long as possible. . .

I knew a "cigarettes give you cancer"-denialist once upon
a time, somebody who should have known better.

Back in 1974, I was working for a large and well-known
technology company (which I won't mention by name). I wasn't
a computer programmer back then; I was a lab technician
in a quality-control lab that carried out quality-assurance
assays on samples from batches of biological and chemical substances
(ranging from verifying the concentration of dirt-common
"Tris" buffer solutions all the way to elaborate procedures
to verify the activity of incredibly expensive enzyme
preparations purchased from Boehringer Mannheim) that
were used by the company I worked for to make other
products (for the medical industry, in this case).

Anyway, during part of this time, I had a boss (supervisor of
the QC lab) with a PhD in chemistry, for God's sake, who
surprised me one day by swearing up and down that all the
government hoopla over how cigarettes are bad for you was
just **bunk**. He wasn't talking to me; I was overhearing
a conversation he was having with a co-worker (in a public
space). There was considerable heat in his declaration -- I could
tell from the tone of his voice that I'd be better off
(and that there was no point, anyway) sticking my foot in
**that** cow pile.

I can guess from this distance that his vehemence was probably
compounded of ideology (that damned meddling gub'mint!)
and a wish to convince **himself** (he was a smoker, of course)
that the alleged risk to his health was baloney.

Or maybe he was an Objectivist -- Ayn Rand fans back in the
day weren't allowed to admit that cigarettes are bad for you,
because to do so would be criticizing the Great Lady herself,
who smoked quite ostentatiously. The Greatest Human Mind
Since (And Maybe Even Including) Aristotle had a theory that
since aggregate statistics can't prove anything about what's
going to happen to a particular individual, they can be safely
ignored as irrelevant.