Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Bill Clinton on The Stupid and What It Means for the GOP

From Kristof's latest:
I asked Bill Clinton -- who has a better intuitive feel for politics than anyone I know -- about Obama’s chances for re-election. “I’ll be surprised if he’s not re-elected,” Clinton said, adding that Obama would do better when matched against a specific opponent... Clinton added that Romney or any Republican nominee would be hampered by “a political environment in the Republican primary that basically means you can’t be authentic unless you’ve got a single-digit I.Q.”
As I have said before, we have arrived at a weird moment when truth-telling is sometimes indistinguishable from what looks like name-calling, very much to the detriment of truth telling. But there is almost nothing in the world more important than grasping just how unprecedentedly, flabbergastingly dumb and evil Republicans are right now, and how that makes them, given their inertial emplacement within the power structure of an earthly superpower, in my view at least, the single most dangerous organized force in the world today. For generations Republicans have had more than their fair share of scoundrels, bigots, and know-nothings, of course, but what the GOP is today is... something else. It's refreshing to see even glancing references to this reality from Establishment figures like Bill Clinton (and, no, I'm not a big fan of his, but that's not my point).

No comments: